Written By: Robert D. Sollars
It happens to Anyone…Any Time… Anywhere… For any Reason
Robbery is one of those crimes that like WPV can strike anywhere, as well as resulting in violence. It really doesn’t matter what kind of business. You can be robbed for what you have, usually money. And rarely, if ever, are these perpetrators Robin Hood’s…robbing the rich to give to the poor. It’s usually robbing anyone to give to themselves.
A few pointers if you, or the business you’re visiting, are being robbed:
- Always assume there is a weapon and it is ready to fire. Just because you don’t see it… In this instance, paranoia can also be called cautious
- Don’t argue with them. By arguing with one of these miscreants, you’re only going to make them angrier, and that’s not good for anyone, in this volatile situation, just acquiesce.
- Don’t make any sudden moves. This is especially true if you are in their peripheral vision, and in their direct line of sight. A sudden move out of the corner of their eye could force them to act with an animalistic survival instinct. And never put your hands into your pockets or purse, for any reason except to comply…you’re reaching for a weapon, according to their mindset.
- Capitulate…slowly. This may go against the grain for some of us but… Criminals are attuned to sudden movement, which means they are startled easily, and then there are the other people in the facility who become part of the cross-fire. It also buys you time for help to arrive.
- Stalling for time is a slight way of showing defiance, but not so overtly so as to cause the criminal to become agitated. Like with capitulation, do it slowly in all respects, your watch, purse, or whatever. The hooligan has but one enemy that is overwhelming…time.
- Never make direct eye contact. Look past their shoulder at the wall, but never in their eyes. Like the animal they are, they may feel that you are challenging their dominance of the situation…and them, and they need to be in charge.
- Comply with their demands. Criminals obviously have the overwhelming urge to control the situation & therefore, are like a mentally unstable dictator…ready to explode for any reason.
These tips will never guarantee you’ll never encounter a sociopath, drugged high, or just out and out crazy, they are out there. However, following these tips could save your life, be they out for money, booze, cigarettes, or just a sandwich.
I May Be Blind, but My Vision Is Crystal Clear
Permission to share? Of course, with full attribution.
Copyright 2020 Robert D. Sollars